- In response to industry concerns for mislabeled beef products, U.S. Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilack recently said that the “Product of the USA” label on meat products should undergo a full-scale
- On September 28, 2022, FDA announced that it had issued a proposed rule with criteria for when foods can be labeled with the claim “healthy” on their packaging. The proposed
- On September 27, the FDA released “Activities to Enhance the Safety of Imported Produce,” a report which details how the Agency’s 2019 strategy for safeguarding imported food specifically
- On September 26, 2022, FDA released food safety prevention strategies for Salmonellosis and listeriosis associated with imported enoki and wood ear mushrooms and Salmonellosis associated with bulb onions.
9th Circ. Says Hydroponic Food Can Use ‘Organic’ Labels (subscription to Law360 required)
- As previously covered on this blog, the U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California
- On September 14, 2022, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) officials reported a new outbreak of infections from Listeria monocytogenes. FDA has not yet identified a particular product linked to the
- On September 6, 2022, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s (USDA) Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS) announced that it had reviewed a new genetically-modified tomato from Norfolk Plant Sciences.
- In May, FDA Commissioner Robert M. Califf, M.D., requested an internal agency review of the FDA’s actions related to multiple reports of Cronobacter in infants, the temporary shutdown of Abbot
- A class-action lawsuit filed by Spencer Sheehan on September 18, 2022, alleges that an apple pie product advertised as “made with real butter” is deceptively advertised because its primary shortening
Judge Backs Most Of GMO Labeling Rule, Bans QR Codes (subscription to Law360 required)
- The National Bioengineered Food Disclosure Standard Law of 2016 (discussed here) amended the Agricultural Marketing